Friday, December 22, 2006

When Nuns are Grandmas

New arrival, Benjamin

Nicholas with his Nonna at the monastery '04


Redemptoristine Nun Welcomes a Grandchild

It is not uncommon these days to find grandmothers in convents and monasteries. The current frequency of 'late vocations' inevitably brings women who have been married, raised families and had a great variety of careers. The advent of an organization called Sister Moms attests to the significant number of nuns who are mothers.
It has been my joy to see my oldest son and his wife begin their family. Nicholas, who is now almost three years old, was joined on December 20th by his baby brother, Benjamin. These little ones have their own website cleverly managed by their mother. Now it even includes videos so I can really stay in touch.

These children are much loved by a full compliment of grandparents and five living great-grandparents. So while I am not as much a part of their lives as I might have been, I know that they get all the lovin' they need. Of course, visits are a pleasure, especially those occasions when I get to see them in their own home. But Nicholas has visited the monastery frequently enough that when he recently saw a monastery-like building he said, "Nonna's house?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Benjamin!!! What a handsome lad!!!!! and born on my Maria's birthday!! Altho it has been difficult since, having a baby so close to Christmas was a wonderful experience!!! It brought many thoughts as to what Mary and Joseph must have gone thru..... love, Justine

BGK said...

I'm new to your blog and love it. What a beautiful baby.