Sunday, August 31, 2014

More History from World War II Letters

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Helmut Eric Nimke - 1944
The limits of time - only 24 hours in each day - do not allow for concentrated effort in completely processing the cache of letters written by my mother and father during WWII. Therefore my reportage concerning what they reveal is a bit strung out here. But I know there are readers who look forward to reading more.
 
Just found this post in draft form stashed in the "files" of this blog. Just can't let it go to waste even if there is little I can add at this time. The letter above seems to have been a joint communication by men in my father's squadron who are dismayed by the injustices they observe in Meridian, Mississippi. Bear in mind that 10 years later Meridian would be at the epicenter of the Civil Rights Movement.
 
Below are two enclosures from the letters. They are followed by a letter in which justice issues are spoken of yet again.





No comments: