Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Contemplative Nun Blogger Responds to Comment

Given all of the typos in my response to Kate as a comment on my last post, I've decided to correct them and publish those remarks here. Kate was very complimentary in her comment to the second post concerning contemplative prayer which focused on its fruits. Internet media seems to be the way of the future in communication. Unfortunately, technological skills do not come to monastic contemplatives at a pace that keeps up with the speed of developments on that front. When I entered the monastery seven years ago I came with word-processing and library automation skills and that was about it. Thanks to a wonderfully skilled woman who spent time in our community I learned a great deal - enough to give me the push to try to set up this blog on my own.

No, we have not used the Internet as much as we could. It all takes time. The learning curve and interest varies from person to person. The beginnings of our website are accessible at the Metropolitan Association of Contemplative Communities link on this blog. (See the side bar for links.) The site is very much 'under construction' but a great beginning an will give anyone a good idea of who we are and what we are about.

I have just spent a couple of days revamping our own vocation and informational brochures taking advantage of the templates offered in MS Publisher. What a difference that makes. And we are about to format materials that can be sent via e-mail.

I have noted with interest that the national organization of vocation directors, those in communities who deal directly with prospective candidates, are beginning to sponsor workshops on blogs, My Space pages, etc. We are paying attention. But like everyone else, we are trying to do more with less, fewer resources, fewer people. But the Spirit continues to work powerfully among us, even if we do not understand how.

No comments: